Sunday 13 March 2011

Cynical

One of the great things about being cynical is being able to laugh at the naïve nonsense that people come up with to answer meaningful questions. I get various spam in my letter box from churches and meditation groups, and I get a good laugh out of them. It's not that I find the questions absurd, on the contrary I think they're tapping into key issues. It's not that I find the quest for answering such questions absurd, I think that people should be reflective on such questions. What I find so absurd is how useless the answers they give are, using words and phrases that don't really mean anything but sound insightful or enticing.

The real meaningful activity isn't the meditation or the prayer or the belief in God - one can do all those things without needing a church or meditation group. It's the fellowship and interaction that makes the difference. We are social animals, after all. It's hard to fault people for wanting to have others around in order to engage in activities that highlight what's important and meaningful, and I think the same for atheist groups or AA groups. It's not the communal aspect that's deserving of ridicule, but the ridiculous drivel that's put forward as insight.

No comments: