Monday 14 February 2011

Morning Scepticism: Evidential

When it comes to the debate over rational arguments and evidential arguments for the existence of God, I tend to think that despite the focus on making rational arguments that people would more likely be swayed by evidence. To demonstrate this, would would be more compelling as a reason to believe? A sound ontological argument, or everybody in the world hearing in their heads "I am Yahweh and my son Jesus Christ died for your sins" in their own language while an amputee being prayed for regrew a limb in full view of a wide audience and captured through a variety of cameras? I'd tend to think the latter, even though that may have a possible natural explanation. It's also why I think the argument from design has swayed many a person to believe in God while I'd be willing to bet that the number of people swayed by ontological arguments could be counted on one hand - that is if they could be found.

No comments: